Sunday, February 1, 2015

RAM RUCHI

Since this is the first post on my blog, I want to start off with something that reminds me of my childhood and especially my grandfather. Ram ruchi was a name given by my grandfather to this chickpea dish. The dish is a gravy with potatoes and steamed chickpea flour squares. It tastes great with rice as well as rotis/naan bread. 

So here goes. 



PREP TIMECOOKING TIMESERVES
10-12 minutes30 minutes2-3

PROCEDURE

Chickpea (Squares) squares

Ingredients (for chickpea squares) Quantity
Chickpea Flour7-8 tablespoons
Coriander powder1 teaspoon
Garam masala powder1 teaspoon
Lemon juicefrom half a lemon
Salta pinch
Wateras required

  • In a small bowl mix all the dry ingredients above and lemon juice. 
  • Now add water to make a slightly heavy paste such that when you lift your fingers from the mixture it does not fall off from your hands
  • We need to steam this mixture and make squares out of them. I have a steamer so I used that to steam the mixture. If you don't have anything to steam, make small round balls of the mixture and deep fry them. 
  • My steamer has a bowl to make rice so I spread the mixture on it and steamed for around 15-20 minutes. 
  • While the steamer is at work, you can start making the gravy. (see ingredients and procedure below)
  • After it is ready, let it cool and then cut them up into square (or any shape you like, you can even use a cookie cutter and get creative)

Potato gravy 

Ingredients (for Potato Gravy)Quantity
Boiled Potatoes 2
Onion1 medium sized
Tomato1 medium sized
Chillies2 -3 
Gingera small piece
Garlic (optional)2 cloves
Dhania powder (Coriander Powder)1 teaspoon
Jeera powder (Cumin Powder)1 teaspoon
Haldi (Turmeric Powder)1/2 teaspoon
Jeera (Cumin Seeds) 1/2 
Garam Masala1 teaspoon
Garlic (optional)2 cloves
Oil2 tablespoons
  • Create a puree of the tomatoes, ginger, chillies and garlic (if using)
  • In a pot, add oil and when the oil is hot add the cumin seeds and when they start fluttering add the onions 
  • When the onions turn golden brown, add the tomato puree 
  • Add a little bit of salt to quicken up the cooking process
  • Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala
  • Cook on medium flame for 10 minutes or until the mixture is cooked well
  • When the mixture is cooked add the boiled potatoes (cut into squares) and the chickpea flour squares. Cook for 2 minutes and then add sufficient water to make it quite watery. Add salt to taste (If you added salt to the tomato puree, be careful not to make it overly salty)
  • Let the curry cook covered for 10 minutes or until the gravy thickens. 
  • Serve hot with rice or chapatis.


WHERE CAN YOU FIND THESE INGREDIENTS
If you are not in India, you can easily find all the ingredients at any Indian Grocery store. In Canada I do know that Loblaws, Food Basics, Freshco and even Farmboy carry almost all of these ingredients. 

Feedback and comments always welcome! 

6 comments:

  1. I remember my Chachi use to make this dish. I know it tastes yummy. So when I'll be in Toronto you will cook this for me ��. I will try to make it too ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great going, Lipika! Good dish to start off your blog. Loved your presentation and style. Hadn't made this in a while, so thanks for bringing back fond memories of this lovely dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lipika. Good going. The dishes looks good and I am sure it taste good as well. And it is healthy too.
    I am going to try it and give it to my child. She will enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Usha.. let me know if your daughter liked it. :)

      Delete