Tuesday, October 13, 2015

DISCO BHAJA - VEGGIE SKINS SIDE DISH (ଡିସକୋ ଭଜା)

Disco Bhaja (ଡିସକୋ  ଭଜା) is a kind of a byproduct of of Janhi Aloo Posto. My mom was here this summer and she taught me this recipe. I can remember so many of my grandma's dishes where she would take the pain to make sure all grandchildren ate their vegetables. She would add tasty twists to regular vegetables to make them not taste like they look. I remember when I was a kid anything green was off limits, but my grand ma taught her tricks to my mom too so I ended up eating my greens. 

The day we made Janhi Aloo Posto , I peeled the ridge gourd and potatoes for the dish, just when I was about to throw away the peels, my mom said she knows a tasty way to re-use them. See, the whole idea of re-using, recycling, reducing waste is so amazing to me that I jumped at the suggestion and was pleasantly surprised to see the outcome. Also if you have ever eaten at a Odiya home, bhaja is an integral part of the meal, the local saying for a wholesome Odia meal is "cha tiana naa bhaja" - which means 6 curries and 9 side dishes. Yes, we odias spend a lot of time cooking and eating. 

Bhajas are side dishes and are often eaten with rice and daal. They are usually shallow fried and taste best when prepared and served fresh. Why this bhaja is called "disco" bhaja no one will know, it's my aunt's invention and maybe she felt like boogying when she made this so the name - Disco Bhaja :) 

So here goes recipe for disco bhaja....





PREP TIMECOOKING TIMESERVES
5 minutes 10 minutes 2 - 3 

INGREDIENTS

Ingredients  Quantity
Ridge Gourd Skins peels from 1 ridge gourd 
Potato Skins peels from 2 potatoes 
Chopped Onions  1 Medium
Chickpea Flour (Besan) 5 - 6 Tablespoon
Rice Flour 2 Tablespoon
Chopped Green Chillies  3 - 4 
Salt To Taste
Amchoor Powder 2 teaspoon
Oil 3 Tablespoon

PREP
  • Peel ridge gourd and potatoes, it would be best if you make this bhaja along with janhi aloo posto so you have the peel handy

  • Coarsely grind the potato and ridge gourd skins
PROCEDURE
  • In a bowl, mix in the coarsely ground veggie peels, chickpea flour, rice flour, chopped onions, amchoor powder, chopped green chillies and salt




  • Take a shallow pan and splash some oil onto it, you can always less oil to make it a tad more healthy

  • When the pan is hot, place small blobs of the mixture and flatten them out a bit like in the picture below


  • Toast each side until they're golden brown and cook on medium heat

  • When both sides look golden brown, take it off the heat and serve hot with rice and daal.


    SERVING SUGGESTIONS
    This bhaja goes really well with pakhala bhata :) and ofcourse rice and daal. 


    Feedback and comments always welcome! 








    1 comment: